Monday, July 12, 2010

Chain-O-Rama: Granite City

While I can't really speak for the quality of the beer at Granite City, I have been there a handful of times now. I'm not sure if these guys have reviewed the beer, but they seem like a pretty authoritative site for beer reviews.



Anyhow, we've stopped in at Granite City for work lunches, and the other night the Better Half and I made a stop. Like many of the chain style brew pubs, the menu is extensive. From beer cheese soup (nice and rich) to shrimp tacos (pretty decent) to steaks to large salads to pasta... you can find it all here.

What I don't think you'll find is a great hit anywhere. It is all pretty decent. But, on this visit I paid something silly like $15 for Charlotte's pasta, and I thought it was a very poor deal (though the chef went crazy and burdened the thing with a load of crispy prosciutto. I was mostly attracted to the mention of pesto in the dish, but... I guess I prefer pesto more with oil on pasta, and not necessarily mixed with a heavy red sauce. [Further evidence of the worlds worst food photographer below]


Pretty safe, pretty decent. Not real memorable. If the beer is better than the mass marketed stuff, than maybe it is worth multiple visits. But, like with our work lunches, it fits a big group and everyone can find something. And, there is definitely something to be said about that.

The verdict: 2 belly rubs (out of 5). Typical, but decent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! The second time I went there, the server didn't know how much an "extra" cost. The menu said "ask your server.". I also heard the bartender say they were out of lemons.

The first time I went, we left 20 minutes after being seated. We did not see a server the entire time!

I'll not be back.

Indy Grub Review said...

The service was definitely ponderous.... we waited and waited numerous times.... that never brings you back....