Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Flying Cupcake - a love story

What's not to love about the Flying Cupcake?

We live downtown, and we're excited there is now one on Mass Ave. But, the original location on Illinois Street (in Butler-Tarkington) is a much larger place, and is where the actual baking takes place. I've enjoyed all of the cupcakes I've had, and especially like the Koo Koo for Coconuts, the Blueberry Cream Cheese Blues and the Salted Chocolate Caramel.... But, the best of the lot, in name and taste is... the Red Velvet Elvis (awww man, I cannot believe it....).


I typically have not really "got" some people's fascination with red velvet cake. Sure, I love the cream cheese frosting, but typically it seemed like red velvet cake just had food coloring in it.... I'm not sure how The Flying Cupcake makes this one, but it is sweet, moist and fantastic. It is a huge cupcake, not some dainty little thing, so it is worth it's $2.95 (or whatever the exact price is). Best of all, it includes chocolate chips. It is almost too much icing.... wait, never mind, there's never too much icing. It's my favorite baked good in the city (well, I mean, after the Better Half's chocolate chip banana bread).

The verdict: 5 big belly rubs (out of 5)

Idea: If sitcom's spur spinoffs, this is a baked good that deserves one. With the Flying Elvi skydive team out there, maybe there is a potential to make a Flying Elvis cupcake... I'm not a big Elvis guy, but maybe they could throw in some peanut butter and banana but... let's avoid the fried bologna..... much less the tater tots.

No comments: