Thursday, June 3, 2010

Product Review: Graeter's Buckeye Blitz

I lived in Ohio for about 8 years. I really enjoyed it. I was over near Akron, in Cuyahoga Falls. I worked up near Cleveland for the last 5 years, and I really enjoyed the old feel of the city. And, good grub abounds over there. Not so healthy, no, but good stuff. They didn't have a Primanti Brother's there, but there is a string of restaurant/bars that serve that fantastic sandwich. Little Italy in Cleveland is great. It is where I found out how good real pirogies could be, too. The old steel-age city has a lot of character, and ethnic burrows.

What did I not like about NE Ohio? Well, it is what drove me crazy about the whole state - from every border, it is just rabid about Ohio State University sports (I'm personally surprised they came in only at #2). Ugh. As a Boilermaker, it was hard to take. Especially when we just couldn't beat them nearly enough! Oh, the pain of the 2002 season... I'm not even sure why I'm linking to this, but I was standing in the stands, yelling for the upset, ready to end OSU's undefeated season. Oh the pain (tho, yes, I so admire the nerve).

Anyhow, that was all to just set up the fact that while at the grocery store, I noticed a take home pint of a Graeter's flavor called Buckeye Blitz. As unappetizing as the name is, I love peanut butter and chocolate, so.... I wanted to try it. We've already established that you really need to try some of Graeter's ice cream (black raspberry chip and coconut chip are both 5 big belly rubs).


This is a pretty tasty ice cream. I still don't know what is so special about Graeter's french pot style of ice cream making, but it produces some fantastic stuff. I love the inconsistency of the chocolate chunks. The ice cream is smooth, rich and tasty. The only thing I'd say that is lacking in this flavor is that I'd have liked more peanut butter. But, overall, a really solid flavor.


The verdict: 4.5 belly rubs (out of 5), despite the name!

No comments: