Thursday, June 10, 2010

Product Review: 3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp


In a word - yum.

Have not seen this candy bar very often, but picked up a 2nd one and.... it's fantastic. Maybe it is just because I'm also fond of Twix bars, but these two chocolaty sticks are just great. I usually feel like when a mass-marketer tries to put out anything to do with being a "truffle" it means it will be bad. But, this is not the case here. The taste is rich, smooth and slightly airy. There is a crispy layer, which slightly resembles foam toffee, but I'm not sure what it is. I can catch the taste resemblance to a regular 3 Musketeers, but... it is not substantial at all.

Another bonus - it is less guilt inducing. The two sticks are together just 170 calories and 9 grams of fat. Compare that to your regular snickers, and it is a huge caloric savings.

If I had any recommendation, though, to the good folks at Mars - drop the 3 Musketeer's name. I don't feel like this helps market the new candy bar. Sure the branding tie-in gives it an immediate sense of recognition, but.... I'd let this bar stand on its own if possible.

Now, the only drawback is... well... it seems like a dainty candy bar. Sure, 170 calories is enough for an indulgence, but... you end up wanting more - especially if you share it with the Better Half, as I did.

The verdict: 4 belly rubs (out of 5). Tasty, nice new addition to the candy bar cavalcade.

No comments: