Thursday, June 10, 2010

El Jaripeo


Man, that old internet. It sure can teach you things..... like, until I looked up the El Jaripeo web site, I didn't realize that they were part of the local El Rodeo conglomerate.

Growing up on the East side, and with Mom still out there, I had noticed the El Jaripeo in the little shopping plaza back in the day... it was on far East Washington Street, near what was once a Wacamaw, and near the Putt Putt Golf where we youngsters went to play Putt Putt and video games. Somehow, we never made it into El Jaripeo. Of course, back then, Mexican food was only defined to me as being from Chi Chis.

Anyhow, in the last year, El Jaripeo took over a location on the opposite side of Washington Street in what used to be a Buddy's Carpet. A green restaurant! Recycling space!

If you know El Rodeo, you know the drill here. It is good, fast, efficient. It is high end cuisine, no. But, I always leave satisfied and feeling like it was money well spent. The Better Half typically gets the Burrito Loco (with just chicken) and it is tasty and enormous.


I most recently had the Hot & Spicy Burrito, and while it was fairly spicy, it wasn't over the top spicy, but decent. I'm not crazy about ground beef, though, so I likely won't get that again. My favorite dish here is the Chile Verde, which is slow roasted pork in a chile sauce. Fantastic to have that with some tortillas, and it is incredibly filling.



Service is always fast at El Jaripeo, and it's a safe, solid bet for a good Mexican meal.

The verdict: 4 belly rubs (out of 5). Consistent, tasty, good service, good value.

No comments: